The 6th edition of SH Contemporary – Shanghai Contemporary Art Fair will take place in the spectacular Shanghai Exhibition Center, one of the city’s landmarks, from 7 – 9 September 2012, with Preview on the 6th.
SH Contemporary is the most successful art fair in China, as it captures the dynamism of the Chinese art market as well as the spirit of Shanghai; a true creative city, bridging together business, culture and innovation.
Supporting primarily the development of the region’s contemporary art system, also by redefining the notion of “international” from an Asian perspective, the fair is an efficient business platform and a curatorially-led project. Presenting the most interesting Asian, Asia-Pacific and Western contemporary art to a growing group of local and international collectors and art lovers.
Under the direction of Massimo Torrigiani, SH Contemporary is organized into two main sections:
1. The Art Show features over 100 selected exhibitors, with sectors dedicated to young galleries and galleries specialized in photography.
2. SH Contemporary Projects, organized with the support of participating galleries and in co-operation with Arthub Asia’s curatorial network, highlights the work of leading Chinese artists and international talents:
• Now Ink is an ongoing exhibition initiated with last edition of SH Contemporary and co-curated this year by Xiang Liping. It focuses on contemporary ink and calligraphy-related multimedia works
• Hot Spots – co-curated for this edition with artist Shi Yong – is dedicated to large scale and site specific projects, including a series of monumental commissioned pieces by Indian artists, with the contribution of The Creative India Foundation and its director Diana Campbell
• First Issue is built around the works of young artists who have had their first shows in 2011–12 • The Video Room is dedicated to the latest developments in moving image and new media
• The 2nd edition of The Asia Pacific Photography Prize will be awarded by an international jury of photographers, editors, curators and critics
• Pillow Talks is a new series of intimate conversations among artists, critics, curators, and collectors friends
The fair is complemented by SHANGHAI IN ART, a full VIP program and a series of activities and events organized by the city’s leading galleries, museums and cultural institutions.
The 2011 edition saw the return of most of the leading Chinese galleries, a significant growth in sales and a renewed energy with the participation of 90 exhibitors, over 30 private museums and institutions, 500 invited collectors and 35.000 visitors. The selection of established and emerging Asian and Western galleries included, among others, 01100001, Aike-Dell’arco, Art Seasons, Aura, Beijing Art Now, Beijing Commune, Boers-Li, C-Space, Galleria Continua, Eigen+Art, Greenaway Art Gallery, James Cohan, Lin & Lin, Long March, M97, Nature Morte, Pearl Lam Galleries, Pékin Fine Arts, Red Gate, Shanghai Gallery of Art, Shanghart, Star Gallery, Tang Contemporary, The Pace Gallery Beijing, Tina Keng, Triumph Art Space, Vanguard, and White Space.